Thursday, July 28, 2011

A hundred million miracles ...

... are happening every day.

So the song goes.

Neil Parischa would agree. He's the guy who gave the world 1000awesomethings.com, now available in book form.  Unabashedly appreciative of what you might think are the smallest, silliest things, Parischa reminds us that happiness is not found at the end of a mythical rainbow, but precisely in those nitty-gritty details of life here and now - those little moments that could slip away unnoticed if we don't pay more attention.

Like finally finding the start of this stupid roll of tapegrabbing a tissue at the last second before sneezing, or arriving at the bus stop just as the bus is coming around the corner.

And then there are other little things that are really not so little after all:

When someone calls just to say hi;
When your dad checks under your bed and finds no monsters;
Hanging out with your mom;
A long hug when you really need it.

Marguerites make me smile.  They're tiny, perfect, awesome!

So today I renewed one of my resolutions: never to take little things for granted.  And I realized that I had a pretty awesome day.

It started out with some distressing news, about the kind of crisis you know there isn't a mortal thing you can do to help, except pray.  So I prayed.  And it looks like it just might be working.  So I'll keep praying.

That was one awesome thing.

Later on, I was on the phone with the Chapters lady, looking for a travel book by Frances Mayes called A Year in the World. "Travel," said the Chapters lady, "is about transformation. It's only when you get out of your comfort zone that you find out what you are really capable of." I said, "Is that the blurb on the book jacket?" She said, "Nope, that's my personal philosophy."

The Chapters lady's name is Sultana, and you can bet I'm going to give the store some great feedback about her.

That was another awesome thing.

Heck, I guess I had a pretty awesome week.  I found figs at the market and discovered a new herb: Cuban oregano.  A friend told me some great news about what's happening with her.  I talked to my seven-year-old nephew on the phone, and in a few more days I actually get to see him. I greeted a friend Happy Birthday one day too early.  An editor told me that the article I pitched him perfectly fits the theme of their upcoming issue.  I helped a lady carry her stroller down some stairs.  I think there's a good chance that my friend at work will become my friend outside work.

And the last awesome thing is that I have a million things to do and plans to make, but for now it's time for bed, and my pillows are cool and soft and the sheets smell like the sun because I hung them outside to dry.

Good night, and have a wonderful weekend!




Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails