Sunday, June 26, 2011

Spaghetti and sliders and cupcakes, oh my!

It's been a while since I last cooked for children. It's also been a while since I've seen my friend Vanessa, who moved to the Island after getting married. So when she said she'd be in town for the day, I jumped at the chance to have her and her family over for lunch. I made spaghetti and sliders and for dessert, these yummy cupcakes. They are so delicious, I don't mind if Vanessa's kids associate me with them forever in their memories. And I hope these cupcakes helped me to win their hearts, because they've certainly won mine.


FROSTED YELLOW CUPCAKES
adapted from The New Best Recipe

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream or buttermilk (click here for an easy buttermilk substitute)
1 large egg plus 2 large yolks, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

To bring chilly eggs up to room temperature more quickly, place them in a bowl of warm water. Eggs are also easier to separate when they're not so cold.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Make sure that the oven rack is in the middle position. Line a standard-sized muffin pan with cupcake liners.


In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.


Add the butter, sour cream or buttermilk, egg and yolks, and vanilla. No special mixing required, just throw everything into the bowl.


Beat everything together with a mixer or a sturdy wooden spoon until the mixture is well-blended, smooth and glossy.


Divide the batter evenly into the cups of the muffin tin. Since the batter is quite thick and sticky, I find it easiest to use two teaspoons. Let a big dollop of the batter fall from one teaspoon into the center of the cup, pinning down the liner, and scrape it down with the other spoon. Add another dollop before moving on to the next cup.


Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the cupcake tops are pale gold and a knife blade or toothpick comes out clean from the center. Lift out the cupcakes onto a wire rack to cool.


When the cupcakes are cool enough, top with your favourite frosting (I just use Nutella).

Enjoy!


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails